Friday 22 June 2012

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Publisher: Harper Collins
Published: 1st May 2012
Pages: 525
Synopsis:
War looms in sixteen-year-old Tris’s dark dystopian world as disputes between the factions grow. Tris must now fight against all odds to discover the truth that can save her and the people she loves. Sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge – and the choices she makes will have devastating and unexpected consequences.


Review:
You have no idea how much I was looking forward to this book! While still an amazing book and incredibly well-written, the story was just that little bit too ... I think the word is political. You know? The whole story this time is secrets and what's behind the fence and what is this special information that's worth killing over. Definitely thrilling but sometimes a little confusing.

I adore Tris as a heroine, she was perfectly flawed in Divergent. But this time round, Tris annoyed me quite a lot, for no apparent reason. Which is unfair, I know, and I honestly don't know what it was but with everything going on, her grief and guilt, and her almost purposefully sabotaging her relationship with Tobias, she simply did not do what I wanted her to! Her emotional roller-coaster ride was heartbreaking. And Tobias was brilliant as usual. A little distant from everyone, especially Tris, but what with all she's dealing with I'm not all that surprised.

In the sequel, we learn more about the factions and what their role is in their society. I admit, it took me ages to remember what Amity's trait was but it was still interesting to see different factions mixing more than usual. Dauntless in Amity was obviously stifling for our action-based heroes, and Candor was just plain heartless - we experience first hand the truth serum humiliation.

Not quite as much as Divergent, still amazing and I really, really cannot wait for the next book - must know what is beyond the fence!

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you! Let's hope that the final part of the trilogy brings back the awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of people have been saying they found it too political but personally I loved it! Very much looking forward to the next one :)

    ReplyDelete