Tuesday 16 July 2013

Never Bite a Boy on the First Date by Tamara Summers

I've got a few issues: I'm a vampire now. One of my classmates was found dead, with telltale fang marks. I didn't do it! (really!) Nobody believes me, so . . . I'm going to have to find the real killer. I've already got three suspects. (three very cute suspects.) One more problem: I am seriously falling for one of them . . . but what if he's the killer?

The synopsis might give you a bit of a clue that this is not a proper scary vampire story. Not that that's a bad thing, it was very funny and fresh, a less serious take on the vampire legend. 

So the protagonist was Kira, vampire for only two years and already made enough mistakes that when a jock is found with holes in his neck, her family blames her. So she goes about proving her innocence by catching the real killer. Kira made me giggle, she had this hilarious and sort of typical-but-not approach to being a vampire, like she loved having the power but didn't flaunt it. It made her feel real because she was so sarcastic and defensive. 

Not only does her weird approach to vampiredom make her funny but also her family. Her adopted family are a collection of oddballs with the older parents being very old-fashioned and her siblings just... weird. Plus there's the whole 'my adopted/pretend brother is actually my ex-boyfriend and he still fancies me and it's my fault he's a vampire' thing. Kira's life is beyond weird, add in the vampire stuff and her dating three possible murderers and you have a recipe for disaster! Luckily, Kira can look after herself and does so well, thus making up for my guilt on her behalf thing for dating three guys. 

There were some pretty serious and very impressive plot-twists and secrets to guess - and unfortunately I did not guess the right killer before he or she was revealed. I know, I was disappointed in myself but it was a good twist. As for the three guys, Kira picked her lover-boy and I was happy for them both. 

Publishing 1st February 2010 by Harper Collins. This was a library book. 

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this. It was a quick, fun and lighthearted read. Totally what you need sometimes!

    ReplyDelete