Wednesday 18 June 2014

Discussion: DNFing

Inspired by Jesse's similar post which can be found here, and Sophie's Books I Couldn't Finish, I was thinking about when I give up on a book and what that means to my reading. And yes, I am aware that it has been a while but better late than never, right?

As a general rule, I really dislike to DNF a book. I don't think it's fair to not give the book a full chance but there have been a few that I just could not continue.
- Vampire Diaries by LJ Smith - gave up at page 68. Elena annoyed me too much, I barely got past her meeting Stefan. 
- Fitzwilliam Darcy, Rock Star by Heather Lynn Rigaud - goodness, this book was insanely long! I remember it took me weeks to get barely half way through and I had so many other books to read that I just stopped. With the full intention of going back to it, but I haven't yet and that was over a year ago. 

Then of course there are ones that I almost wish I had given up on:
- Darkness Falls by Jessica Sorensen - hardly any of this made sense and I kept going, hoping that it would reveal answers but instead I just got more questions. 
- Portal 24 by Meredith Stroud - had so much potential but never really lived up to it. It was a fairly good book, just not for me. 

I rarely give up on books but sometimes I think I have to, especially when I look at all the other lovely books I've still got to read! Sometimes I also think I should give up on more books, as it means I'm putting up with books I only half-enjoy. 

What does it take for you to put down a book? Do you ever go back to it, or just leave it forever?

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I dont DNF that often. To be honest Im pretty lucky that I like most of the books I read. My most recent DNF was Grasshopper Jungle. It was just taking me so long to get through it, that I could have read 2 books in the space it took for me to read 100 pages of GJ. Time is the main factor for me. Before blogging I used to put books down a lot (never to be picked up again bcos other books!) but Im much better at that now.

    ReplyDelete