Sunday 1 June 2014

Weekly Highlights: the 'June TBR' edition


Weekly Highlights is a feature borrowed from Faye of A Daydreamer's Thoughts, where I get to highlight my posts of the week, show you my new books and talk about bookish things! 

Not a whole lot to report this week. Got some amazing book post and e-books, all of which I am extremely excited about. I'm just finishing up my work experience at Mongoose Publishers and I have an interview for a school library next week so wish me luck!

I forgot last week but I can't be bothered to link up all of my posts, just a few of my favourites and some I think you should read.
 
On The Blog
Review of Don't Even Think About It by Sarah Mlynowski (4 stars)
Feature: Friday Reads: God Save The Queen and White Hot Kiss
Review of The Look by Sophia Bennett (4 stars)
Review of Reckoning by Kerry Wilkinson (4.5 stars)
Review of The Curious Incident of a Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon (4 stars)


Currently Reading
Shut Out by Kody Keplinger - more details below. I needed a nice contemporary after the drama that was God Save The Queen and I am loving this so far!

On My Bookshelf
The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennett by Bernie Su
A modern adaptation of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice based on the Emmy Award-winning phenomenon, The Lizzie Bennet Diaries.

There is a great deal that goes into making a video blog. Lizzie Bennet should know, having become a YouTube sensation over the course of her year-long video diary project. The Lizzie Bennet Diaries chronicled Lizzie’s life as a twenty-four-year-old grad student, struggling under a mountain of student loans and living at home with her two sisters—beautiful Jane and reckless Lydia. What may have started as her grad student thesis grew into so much more, as the videos came to inform and reflect her life and that of her sisters. When rich, handsome Bing Lee comes to town, along with his stuck-up friend William Darcy, things really start to get interesting for the Bennets—and for Lizzie’s viewers. Suddenly Lizzie—who always considered herself a fairly normal young woman—was a public figure. But not everything happened on-screen. Luckily for us, Lizzie kept a secret diary.

The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet provides more character introspection as only a book can, with revelatory details about the Bennet household, including Lizzie’s special relationship with her father, untold stories from Netherfield, Lizzie’s thoughts and fears about life after grad school and becoming an instant web celebrity.


I am so excited by this! I absolutely loved the web series and when I found out they were writing a novelisation of it, I definitely squealed! Thank you Netgalley and Touchstone!

Take Back the Skies by Lucy Saxon
Catherine Hunter is the daughter of a senior government official on the island of Anglya. She’s one of the privileged – she has luxurious clothes, plenty to eat, and is protected from the Collections which have ravaged families throughout the land. But Catherine longs to escape the confines of her life, before her dad can marry her off to a government brat and trap her forever.
So Catherine becomes Cat, pretends to be a kid escaping the Collections, and stows away on the skyship Stormdancer. As they leave Anglya behind and brave the storms that fill the skies around the islands of Tellus, Cat’s world becomes more turbulent than she could ever have imagined, and dangerous secrets unravel her old life once and for all . . .


 I hadn't actually seen this but looked up the author for YALC read-a-thon, then found this on Netgalley. So another to add to the list (details to come soon). Thank you Netgalley and Bloomsbury!
 
Shut Out by Kody Keplinger
Most high school sports teams have rivalries with other schools. At Hamilton High, it's a civil war: the football team versus the soccer team. And for her part, Lissa is sick of it. Her quarterback boyfriend, Randy, is always ditching her to go pick a fight with the soccer team or to prank their locker room. And on three separate occasions Randy's car has been egged while he and Lissa were inside, making out. She is done competing with a bunch of sweaty boys for her own boyfriend's attention.

Lissa decides to end the rivalry once and for all: She and the other players' girlfriends go on a hookup strike. The boys won't get any action from them until the football and soccer teams make peace. What they don't count on is a new sort of rivalry: an impossible girls-against-boys showdown that hinges on who will cave to their libidos first. And Lissa never sees her own sexual tension with the leader of the boys, Cash Sterling, coming.


Ooh, my first Kody Keplinger book! I'm really excited about this and it sounds perfect to read away in the summer sun. Thank you Hodder!

Trust Games by Simon Packham
Just as life seems perfect, a scandal tears it apart.

When kind, charismatic new drama teacher, Mr Moore, arrives at school, Beth’s life starts to look up. She’s cast as the Nurse in Romeo and Juliet, and as she grows close to super-popular
Hannah (Juliet), Beth finally has the female friend she’s been yearning for.

Meanwhile it seems that all the girls – including Beth – are in love with Mr Moore. And when a scandal breaks, Beth must make a decision that can only have dire consequences for everyone involved.


I can't resist a good contemporary thriller and while this sounds like it has the potential to seriously creep me out, it does sound really good. Thank you Piccadily!

June TBR
First up, I have to mention the YALC read-a-thon happening at the end of the month. I'll put up my declaration/goals post soon but quite a few of my books for June will be for that. Other reads that have come from my TBR jar are: Wither by Lauren DeStefano and This Time Next Door by Gretchen Galway. 

1 comment:

  1. Kody Keplinger's books are amazing so I really hope you enjoy Shut Out! I can't wait to start it. Good luck with your interview!

    ReplyDelete