Wednesday 14 October 2015

P.S I Still Love You by Jenny Han

Lara Jean didn’t expect to really fall for Peter.
She and Peter were just pretending. Except suddenly they weren’t. Now Lara Jean is more confused than ever.
When another boy from her past returns to her life, Lara Jean’s feelings for him return too. Can a girl be in love with two boys at once?


This is the sequel to To All The Boys I Loved Before, which I really enjoyed. This one: not so much. Which is a shame because I was really looking forward to it. I'm not entirely sure it was one thing, more like a few little niggles that added up.

We pick up where we left off after the first book, with Lara Jean and Peter deciding to try dating for real. But things are more complicated with real feelings involved, plus Peter's ex-girlfriend isn't keeping her distance. All of this is making Lara Jean nervous and paranoid.

About half way through, Lara Jean really began to annoy me. Not entirely sure why but once the thought was in my head, I couldn't get rid of it. Maybe it was her paranoia, her fake-chirpy attitude, I don't know but I couldn't shake it. More to the point, why is the synopsis talking about a boy from her past returning when he doesn't actually turn up until the last 100 or so pages? And even then, not much drama comes up, not more than there already was anyway. It felt really badly paced because of this and the ending seemed quite rushed.

I did still like this, it was pure fluffy romance but little niggles stopped me from enjoying it like the first book. The pace and the sudden annoyance of the protagonist was most of it but I did like the slow development of Lara Jean and Peter's relationship and the work they had to do towards it. I also liked to see more of the family's Korean background and the relationship between the three sisters. All in all, a bit of disappointment but good portrayal of the work needed for a healthy relationship.

Published 26th May 2015 by Scholastic Press. 

No comments:

Post a Comment